DVC Members love their home resorts for a variety of reasons. Chad, Valerie, Brad, and Sandy are back to discuss the three main factors people use when picking their home resort. Some people buy them because they love the resort. Others buy specifically for the 11-month booking window advantage. Yet other members are more influenced by the financial, economic, and deed expiration dates. We believe every resort is unique, and there's something for everyone to love in DVC. Join the conversation as we discuss these three factors across all of the DVC resorts.
Season 4 of the My DVC Points Podcast was made possible through financial support from the DVC Dream Team:
- DVC Resale Market – Industry Leader in DVC Resales
- DVC Rental Store – DVC Point Rental and Swap Partner
- Incredible Vacation Homes – Luxury Vacation Homes for Family Gatherings
- Be Our Guest Vacations – Travel Agent for DVC Point Swap Programs
- Monera Financial – Exclusively Financing DVC Contracts
- Patreon supporters in the My DVC Points VIP Producer Club.
Insider Tips for Picking Your Next DVC Home Resort
The third episode in our new member series touches on the three key factors that prospective buyers should consider when choosing their next Home Resort.
- Emotional ties to the resort
- 11-month booking window advantages of owning points at one resort over another
- Financial implications of owning points at one resort over another
Let’s take a minute to back-track and define a few Disney Vacation Club terms before we get going, starting with the Home Resort. Your Home Resort(s) are any Disney Vacation Club Resort in which a Disney Vacation Club Member owns a real estate interest. Your deed will reflect your ownership-interest as a set number of Vacation Points.
What is the 11-Month Booking Window?
You might also be wondering; what is the Home Resort Priority Period – otherwise known as the 11-month booking window? Owners get the first opportunity to book their resort. Owners may book their home resort 11-months before their check-in date. At 7-months before the check-in date, the resort is open up to owners of other resorts in the DVC network.
Let’s look at an example if you were considering buying points at Animal Kingdom.
Essentially, owners at Animal Kingdom can use their points from Animal Kingdom to book their vacations at Animal Kingdom 11-months before the date of check-in. Highly desirable rooms at highly desirable times are typically booked at the 11-month window by people who own at the resort. So when we discuss the 11-month advantage, we’re talking about getting early access to highly desirable rooms before non-owners. (Every resort has rooms that are highly desirable at various times of the year.) In the case of Animal Kingdom owners, Value and Club level rooms are in extremely high demand 365 days a year.
Going back to our Animal Kingdom owner example: At 7-months before check-in, you can use your eligible Animal Kingdom points to book any other resort in the DVC network. Likewise, at 7-months before checking, all of the other DVC members can use their eligible points to book a room at Animal Kingdom Villas.
What is a 7-month booking window?
At the 7-month window before your check-in date, reservations then become available to all DVC members for all the resorts, based on the availability, of course.
What are the primary financial factors to consider when buying a DVC contract?
When discussing the financial implications of purchasing DVC, we’ll be talking a lot about topics like contract expiration date, the price per DVC point, and the annual dues. But what do these terms mean?
Viewing DVC as Price Per Point:
As mentioned, Disney Vacation Club Membership is the purchase of a real estate interest in a Disney Vacation Club Resort represented by Vacation Points. Each of these points will have a dollar value attached or Price per Point. Members can buy points directly from Disney or on the Resale Market – both are options that we’ll be discussing on a future show. Each year, you can use this yearly allotment of Vacation Points to book vacation accommodations.
Bear in mind, when purchasing directly from Disney, their marketing strategy does not explicitly address price per point. Their marketing approach has a fixed price per point, and they offer incentives that essentially lower the cost per point. We encourage members to always do the math and make decisions using a cost per point. The reason is that it’s easier to compare to resale when it's an apples-to-apples comparison.
What are DVC “Network” Points?
Some members fall in love with a resort and feel compelled to own points at that resort so that they can always book a room at the 11-month mark. Most owners who recently purchased Beach Club, BoardWalk, or Grand Californian have done so for the 11-month access to the rooms. These owners are willing to pay a premium to ensure they can always book their home resort.
Other members have a different perspective. Chad owns a contract at Saratoga Springs not because of any emotional ties to the resort, but he purchased the contract because the points were very reasonably priced on resale and the dues for Saratoga Springs have been historically very low. When studies are released declaring the most economical resorts to down, Saratoga is consistently in the top two resorts. At 7-months, “an unrestricted point is a point is a point.” Stated another way, at 7-months, all unrestricted points have equal booking capacities. If you use the super expensive Grand Californian points at 7-months to stay at Old Key West, you're not maximizing the value in what you paid for those points. However, owner's like Chad derive emotional and financial value from using super cheap Saratoga Springs points to book Beach Club or Grand Californian at the 7-month mark whenever there is availability. When you buy an inexpensive contract with the intent of staying at other resorts, you're buying points to use elsewhere in the DVC network at 7-months. The DVC community calls points purchased with this intent, “Network Points.” Generally speaking, people buy network points to save their premium priced points to book their preferred home resorts and use their network points to book elsewhere in the network. If you love trying out all of the resorts and you don't mind booking at the 7-month window, we highly suggest buying some inexpensive network points.
What is a Fixed Week Contract?
Have a tradition of participating in all the runDisney events, or always spend the holidays at Walt Disney World? Then a Fixed Week Contract might be just the thing for you. While DVC is known for its flexibility, owners with a fixed week contract will automatically have their fixed week booked for them at their home resort. Should they wish to use their points elsewhere, they can make a change and release the dates. The advantage here is that the fixed week is automatically pre-booked for them year after year! However, the price per point is typically 10% more. Still, you are guaranteed the room type and week no matter what the point allocation is to stay becomes in the future. The number of total available points at a resort never changes, but DVC can move around how much each night costs per point and at different times of the year.
For example: Currently, one week in an Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani standard view studio room is 181 points the week of Christmas. DVC may, in the future, allocate, for example, 220 points a week for the same room and same week, but you do not have to pay anything extra, and you are guaranteed the room.
What is the contract expiration date?
Typically, Disney Vacation Club sets expiration dates 50 years from the opening date of a DVC resort. If you don’t buy into the resort in the first year, this expiration date is fixed and does NOT change. When buying into an older resort, consider the years left on the contract.
What are DVC dues?
Like homeowner's association or Condominium fees, Annual Dues go towards your Home Resort's real estate taxes, operating costs, administrative expenses, and refurbishment expenses. Your home resort sets your annual dues based upon their expenses and the number of points sold in the resort. You will pay dues every year on a dollars-per-point-owned basis. Dues statements are issued in mid-December and are due on January 15th. DVC allows for a 30-day grace period before assessing late fees. Annual Dues change every year and typically go up 3-5% per year. DVC will publish a high-level budget for each resort every year at the annual meeting held every December.
Let’s go back to our Animal Kingdom example to explain some of the common financial implications that can come up when buying points:
Despite having its Savannas and animals to care for, and a higher price per point than Vero Beach; Animal Kingdom has a long term left on its contract before it expires and lower dues. The shorter-term remaining on a Vero Beach contract and higher dues because it is a Beach resort may make buying points at Animal Kingdom less expensive over the entire length of the contract than buying at Vero Beach despite its lower initial cost per point. Many members look at the total cost of ownership by taking annual dues into consideration over the remaining years of the contract.
Your Emotional Ties to the Disney Vacation Club Resort
The most important and least tangible factor when picking a home resort are the emotional ties a buyer has to the Disney Parks and perhaps a particular Resort. What makes one resort different or superior to another? It may be a decision based on past stays or a personal affinity for a resort’s amenities or design aesthetic. Emotional aspects are a very subjective decision, and there are almost as many answers as members!
Some members swear by the motto, “Buy Where You Love.” Others claim, “Buy where you wouldn’t mind staying” (because you may not be able to switch resorts at 7-months).
Vero Beach may have been the first resort you ever stayed at as a child. We know members with fond memories that are evoked every time they walk into the lobby. Many members absolutely love seeing the ocean through the back door and smelling the signature scent of orange blossoms wafting over you when you enter the lobby at Vero Beach. A member may cherish the thought of knowing they can easily book the 4th of July week every year. Many DVC resorts bring about a euphoric feeling of “being home.” This emotional bond with a resort can outweigh the money a member could have saved by buying at another resort.
Let’s apply this approach to the DVC Resorts.
Animal Kingdom Villas
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Animal Kingdom
- I Love The Animals! There’s nothing like having your coffee in the morning on a balcony overlooking an African Safari.
- Unique theming and experiences of the resort are only found at Animal Kingdom Villas. This is a one-of-a-kind experience.
- Art lovers will be astounded by the 2nd most extensive collection of African Art outside of Africa.
- Disney recruits cultural ambassadors from African to teach guests about their culture.
- Amateur zoologist? The resort has tons of animal learning activities at both locations.
- 11-month booking window Advantages for Animal Kingdom Owners
- One Contract Gives 11-Month Access to Two Different DVC Resorts. Technically, the resorts are deeded differently; however, they share the same 11-month access to both resorts. This is a unique advantage exclusive to AKV owners.
- Owners get 11-month access to Club Level Rooms and Value Rooms at Jambo House. Both typically sell out at 8:01 am on the day of the 11-month mark. Studios and two-bedroom lock-off units are insanely hard to book even for owners. You may have a slightly easier time with one-bedroom villas.
- Members love point stretching. The value rooms at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House are the best point-stretching rooms in Walt Disney World. (The standard view rooms aren’t far behind in the DVC points usage.)
- Generally speaking, Jambo House has less inventory and will sell out before Kidani Village rooms.
- Financial implications of owning points at Animal Kingdom Villas:
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Animal Kingdom Jambo resort Wiki or our Animal Kingdom Kidani Village resort Wiki.
- Expiration Date: 2057
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Aulani
- It’s Hawaii! Fantastic location to use as a home base to explore all that the island of Oahu has to offer.
- It’s like Disney Cruise Line on land! Resort activities abound. Want to paddleboard – check. Learn to play the Ukelele – check. Go on an interactive scavenger hunt where the resort actually comes alive to interact with you – check.
- Hands down, Disney’s best resort pool area! With its own lazy stream, kids water play structure, and not one but two waterslides in a volcano; if that’s not to your taste, you can always lounge by one of the pools or hot tubs.
- What? A private lagoon? If you get bored with the pools – there’s always fun to be had in the calm waters of the private lagoon.
- Architecturally stunning, the resort is designed to reflect an unparalleled sensitivity to the Hawaiian culture.
- Part of the resort’s charm is its fantastic cast members who are amazing ambassadors for the Hawaiian culture.
- And for parents… It’s the only resort with childcare included! Once they go to Aunty’s Beach House, little ones won’t want to leave.
- Lastly, did someone say, Spa! Some say Aulani's spa is the best of all the Disney properties. It has an exquisite outdoor pool and many unique, Hawaiian themed spa treatments.
- 11-month booking window Advantages for Aulani Owners
- Owners have 11-month booking window access to the 8 Hotel Rooms. These are the lowest point rooms at the resort and go like hotcakes.
- Whenever the two standard view Grand Villas are released to be booked on points, you can be assured they will be booked up fast at the 11-month mark. (It’s somewhat tricky to book a Grand Villa at 7-months).
- Also snapped up by owners are the Island Garden view rooms, some of which look over the luau!
- Financial implications of owning points at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Aulani resort Wiki.
- Expiration Date: 2062
- DVC Member Dues are higher because it’s a beach resort
Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Ever wonder what it would be like to sip your morning coffee from your private balcony overlooking Cinderella Castle? Now you can!
- Just a quick 10-minute walk to the Magic Kingdom gates! Bay Lake really feels like staying at the heart of the magic.
- This is a fantastic resort for those who enjoy attending after-hours events like the Christmas and Halloween Parties at Magic Kingdom, as you can walk back to the resort after the party.
- Who doesn’t love to be able to watch fireworks from the room of their balcony!?
- Love watching the monorail ride past you? BLT also offers quick and easy access to the Monorail.
- Be aware that the DVC Studios are the smallest on WDW property. Still, they do have one of the best studio kitchen areas in exchange.
- 11-month booking window Advantages at Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Despite those fantastic firework views, one perk as an Owner at Bay Lake Tower is having access to the standard view rooms, which book up fast.
- However, when you want to make a splash, Owners at Bay Lake Tower have access to theme park views on special holidays like the Fourth of July, New Year’s Eve, and Christmas.
- Sometimes Owners can even book exclusive access to Top of the World Lounge for these special holiday events.
- Financial implications of owning points at Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Bay Lake Tower resort Wiki.
- Expiration Date: 2060
- Membership Dues among the lowest – tower structure is quite efficient for operating costs.
Beach Club Villas Resort
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Beach Club Villas Resort?
- Stormalong Bay is awesome! Who doesn't love awesome waterslides, a lazy river, and a sand-bottom pool? Most members would vote this pool the best Disney pool on the mainland.
- It’s a short walk to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Eager to make rope-drop to nab a Rise of the Resistance boarding group without having to worry if your bus or Skyliner will get you there in time? Then this is the place to stay.
- It’s a short walk to EPCOT. Want to close-out Epcot on New Year’s Eve or at the Food & Wine Festival without having to fight traffic or the worry of having to drive after a late-night margarita? Love all the Epcot Festivals? Then this is the resort for you!
- 11-month booking window Advantages at Disney’s Beach Club Villas Resort
- Remember all those fantastic Epcot festivals? Owners here have priority access to dates during Wine & Dine and other Epcot Festivals, New Year, and the Summer season when the pool is a huge draw.
- Studios sell out at 11-months almost year-round. Two-bedroom villas are challenging to get at 7-months.
- Financial implications of owning points at Disney’s Beach Club Villas Resort?
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Beach Club resort Wiki.
- 2042 expiration
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
- Those who own at The BoardWalk will tell you that there’s something oddly charming about Kiester Coaster (formerly known as the creepy clown slide). It’s known as one of the best resort slides on WDW Property.
- Love hanging out at your resort in the evening after a day at the parks? The atmosphere, performers, and entertainment at night on the BoardWalk are legendary. Try out a lovely libation at the magician themed Abracadabra, or take in the dueling piano show at Jellyrolls. There’s entertainment to suit all tastes.
- And you thought that Beach Club had a lock on walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood Studios! Guests at BoardWalk can also walk to both these Parks.
- 11-month booking window Advantages at Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
- DVC Owners here have first access to to the lower point Standard View rooms, as well as the Grand Villas
- Remember how to book popular dates for Wine & Dine, New Year, and the other Epcot Festivals was a perk of being an owner at Beach Club? The same rings true for the BoardWalk.
- And for larger families trying to squeeze the most out of their points, owners at BoardWalk have priority access at booking studios at this resort, which sleep 5.
- Financial implications of owning points at Disney’s BoardWalk Villas?
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our BoardWalk resort Wiki.
- 2042 expiration
Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Are you a Disney history buff? Boulder Ridge has Walt Disney’s own model trains from the Carolwood Express on display in Walt’s Train Room. And while your there, take a minute to relax in the awesome Winged-Back Rocking chairs.
- Really want to feel like you’re escaping from it all? The whole resort does not feel like you're in Florida – it feels like the Pacific Northwest. And as a bonus, the Magic Kingdom just a few minute boat ride away.
- The resort is very relaxing, with a great “ chill” vibe. The grounds reflect Disney’s long-standing interest in exploring the natural environment in their films. Owners love quick access to enjoying a relaxed meal at the charming outdoor eatery Geyser Point. Many members treasure the character dining at Artist’s Point and the lively atmosphere at Whispering Canyon.
- The holiday season at Wilderness Lodge is unlike any other – simply the most festive of all the resorts.
- 11-month booking window Advantages at Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Holiday season lovers who are owners at Boulder Ridge will be happy to have priority access to Christmas season dates.
- This resort is also great for larger families who want to stretch their points and are willing to squish themselves into a studio that sleeps up to 5.
- Financial implications of owning points at Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Boulder Ridge resort Wiki.
- 2042 expiration
Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Copper Creek Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Copper Creek is the second of the DVC Villas situated within the grounds of Wilderness Lodge. While Boulder Ridge is located in its own outbuilding separate from the main hotel, the Copper Creek Villas are located in the main hotel building. The individual cabins are found along Bay Lake.
- As with Boulder Ridge, the whole of Copper Creek has a relaxing, Pacific Northwest vibe.
- The holiday season at Wilderness Lodge is unlike any other – simply the most festive of all the resorts, with its magnificent tree and a roaring fireplace in the lobby.
- 11-month booking window Advantages at Copper Creek Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge?
- Holiday season lovers who are owners at Copper Creek will be happy to have priority access to Christmas season dates.
- DVC For those owners who enjoy stretching their points, the 11-month window gives priority access to the lower point, Standard View rooms.
- A major perk is that owners here have access to studios first, but with very few studios to go around relative to owners who want to book them, you’ll need to book by 8:01 am
- However, room capacities are smaller than other resorts for 1 bedroom & 2 bedroom villas, so it might not be the best option to own at, for larger families.
- Financial implications of owning points at Copper Creek Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Copper Creek resort Wiki.
- 2068 expiration
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel?
- Private access to and is in Disney’s California Adventure! Mic drop.
- The resort is also a quick walk to Downtown Disney and Disneyland.
- The Resort has stunning architecture themed to the craftsman style used in many National Parks Lodges.
- 11-month booking window Advantages at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel?
- It can be extremely challenging to book any accommodation type at this resort if you are not an owner. So owners here have the luxury of access to any room type!
- As it’s the smallest DVC Resort, owners buy memberships here, exclusively to stay here.
- Be aware that the points per night needed to stay here are high in any room category.
- Financial implications of owning points at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel?
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Grand Californian resort Wiki.
- 2060 expiration
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort
- Incredible theming of a by-gone Victorian era of Elegance and Grand Opulence abound at this hotel. It is most certainly the property with the most refined fit and finish in all of DVC.
- Want to get to Magic Kingdom in a jiff? The resort sits on the monorail loop. This is especially great for families with young kids – you can wheel your stroller onto the monorail. This is equally great for families with family members using a wheelchair or ECV. Additionally, this resort will soon also have its own walking path to the Magic Kingdom!
- Have a Gourmet in the family? The Grand Floridian boasts fantastic dining options, including multiple signature dining experiences and Four Diamond Dining at Victoria and Albert's. It is also home to the only 24-7 quick service at WDW.
- 11-month booking window Advantages at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort
- The smallest of the DVC resorts at WDW, owners here, will love having priority access to Studio Villas that are incredibly hard to get at the 7-month window.
- Live like kings and queens! The Grand Villas are luxurious.
- This was the first DVC resort to offer Fixed-Week contracts.
- Financial implications of owning DVC Points at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort?
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Grand Floridian resort Wiki.
- 2064 expiration
Hilton Head Island Resort
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort
- This resort is all about its Cast Member interactions. There is no theme park. Cast members create 100% of the Disney Magic. The cast here has a reputation of being the best Disney has to offer!
- Stroll amongst the Willows, giant Oaks, and Magnolias on your way to the pool, or sit rocking on your balcony watching the wildlife of the Marsh. Hilton Head Island Resort has incredible Low Country relaxed charm in its design and the warmth of character of its Cast Members.
- Hilton Head is truly a golfer's paradise with 30 courses on Hilton Head Island to choose from.
- The beaches of Hilton Head are well known for being wide and shallow – perfect for young families. Disney even has its own Beach House for its guests, a quick 5minute shuttle ride away.
- Be aware that the resort has 2 dining options on-site, both of which are Quick service and close early to allow families to explore the fantastic dining options around the island.
- 11-month booking window Advantages at Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort
- Owners at this resort love their priority access for the summer season. It's nearly impossible to stay at this resort otherwise! This is especially true for reserving the Studio Villas.
- Financial implications of owning at The Villas at Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort?
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Hilton Head resort Wiki.
- 2042 expiration
- Like Aulani and Vero Beach, HHI has higher than average dues because of hurricane surcharges.
Old Key West Resort
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Disney’s Old Key West Resort?
- It’s the ORIGINAL DVC resort! Most OKW owners love the fact that this was the first DVC resort – it's like owning a little piece of Disney history.
- Relaxed Key West Caribbean charm and well-appointed in its amenities, OKW really feels like a full destination Resort.
- The resort has some of the largest rooms in WDW, and their non-rectangular shape makes this vacation home feel like a real vacation home and not a boxy hotel room.
- 11-month booking window Advantages at Disney’s Old Key West Resort?
- Planning a family reunion? DVC Owners here have first access to the Grand Villas that are the most affordable Grand Villas in the network.
- Owners here also have 11-month access to the highly desirable rooms near the hospitality house. The resort is so large that many people prefer to be near the front desk, restaurant, bar, feature pool, and community hall.
- Financial implications of owning DVC Points at Disney’s Old Key West Resort?
- 2042 or 2057 expiration date(s). Finding an extended contract here is like finding the Holy Grail – but totally worth the hunt.
- The smaller gap between direct and resale makes this one of the best resorts to buy to unlock membership extra benefits from DVC and get your blue card.
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Old Key West resort Wiki.
Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
- The Polynesian was the very first resort to open at Walt Disney World. This gives the resort a nostalgic feel and reputation as being a classic resort in WDW.
- Perfect for when you want to feel like your away from the Parks, but oh, so close-by! With its Polynesian culture, music, and theme, the resort is very relaxing.
- Like its monorail loop sister resorts, this resort is excellent for younger families, allowing them to roll strollers onto the monorail to go to Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Equally, this is a fantastic option for those owners with family members who use a wheelchair or ECV.
- The resort has a stellar view of Cinderella Castle and fireworks from its beach.
- The room accommodations are unique at this resort, as there are only 2 room types available – Studios or Bungalows!
- Great for larger nuclear families – The Poly has the largest Studios in Walt Disney world that can sleep up to 5 people. It also has the most extensive inventory of studios in all of DVC.
- And for the foodies… This resort is home to the incredibly hard to reserve O'hana, has its own Luau, and one of the best quick service locations in Walt Disney World. Oh, and did we mention it has its own Dole Whip window at the Pineapple Lanai?
- Did we mention that the main pool has a waterslide through a volcano and a fantastic little kid's water playground?
- 11-month booking window Advantages at Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
- Owners at this resort love their priority access to booking standard view studios.
- Be aware that there are no 1bedrooms, 2bedrooms, or Grand Villas at this resort, and the bungalows require an astronomical amount of points to book per night.
- One perk for those owners here who like to rent out their DVC points from time to time is that The Polynesian has the highest demand for DVC point rentals at the 11-month mark.
- Financial implications of owning DVC Points at Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
- 2066 expiration
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Polynesian Villas and Bungalows resort Wiki.
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Disney’s Riviera Resort?
- Love staying at the Grand Floridian, but don't love the hike to the main lobby? The Riviera Resort is opulent, yet more intimate than the Grand Floridian Resort.
- It is one of the first resorts to integrate the new Skyliner as one of its modes of transportation to and from Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
- While all the room types are very well-appointed, an added feature is that both the Studios and 1-bedrooms sleep up to 5 guests.
- 11-month booking window Advantages at Disney’s Riviera Resort
- A unique feature of this resort is the new Tower Studios that sleep 2 guests. Riviera Owners have priority access to the 27 Tower Studios.
- DVC Owners here have access to standard view rooms that offer cheaper points and excellent views of the EPCOT fireworks!
- Financial implications of owning DVC Points at Disney’s Riviera Resort?
- 2070 expiration
- The contract has language that acts as a curse to the second owner. Points may ONLY be used at the Riviera resort.
- Many prominent members in the DVC community fear this will have significant long-term negative impacts on these contracts' resale value.
- At the 7-month mark, many owners will have access to your home resort, but you will not have access to book any other DVC resort.
- On the positive note, if this resort follows the path Copper Creek took, we anticipate the dues are prematurely inflated and should have very modest increases over the next couple of years.
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Riviera Resort resort Wiki.
Saratoga Springs Resort
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort?
- This resort is known for its quaint, quiet, and relaxed atmosphere.
- Love to fill your Walt Disney World trip evenings with a little more nightlife? SSR is hands down the best resort to stay at for exploring Disney Springs access. It's just a short walk or boat ride away!
- Ever wanted to crawl into bed while walking through the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse? Saratoga Springs Resort has the next best thing with its unique Treehouse Villas.
- Love to Golf? This is hands down the best DVC resort for golfers with its own clubhouse on-site!
- And for those down days from the Parks… Many people consider Saratoga's spa the best on property.
- 11-month booking window Advantages at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort
- Owners here, have access to the treehouse villas that are somewhat difficult to book in October, November, and December.
- As SSR is the largest resort in DVC, owners have more inventory to choose from than any other home resort. This may help when trying to get a room at the 11-month mark on popular holidays and runDisney weeks when all of Walt Disney World resort will sell out.
- Financial implications of owning DVC Points at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort
- 2054 expiration
- Due to lower dues and lower cost per point, many members own a Saratoga contract to use as network points at the 7-month mark.
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Saratoga Springs resort Wiki.
Vero Beach Resort
- Emotional Aspects of Owning at Disney’s Vero Beach Resort
- The appeal of Vero Beach Resort comes from its fabulous Disney customer service without dealing with the hustle and bustle of the parks.
- The resort is perfect for a relaxed, beach vacation, where your most important decision of the day will be whether you spend it at the beach or the pool; or split your time between both!
- The resort feels like being at a family resort in the 1950s-1960s and is staffed by the same Cast members year after year.
- Nestled directly on the Beach, on the Atlantic coast of Florida – you can walk for miles without crossing another person.
- Sea Turtle nesting season is a huge draw to the resort, with special events going on during July.
- 11-month booking window Advantages at Disney’s Vero Beach Resort?
- The biggest draw for most owners at Vero Beach is being able to book the amazing Beach Cottages at the 11-month mark.
- Equally, many points conscious Owners here enjoy having priority access to booking the Standard View Inn rooms.
- Owners here have access to booking dates during the summer months – especially for the 4th of July and Tour de Turtle events.
- Holiday season and Spring break periods are also hard to reserve dates at this resort.
- Be aware, that Vero Beach Resort is also very popular with Floridians as a quick weekend getaway.
- Financial implications of owning DVC Points at Disney’s Vero Beach Resort?
- 2042 expiration
- Most financial data is time-sensitive. For the most recent information, please visit our Vero Beach resort Wiki.
Proposed Disneyland Tower Hotel (Coming in 2023)
- What will be Special about owning DVC points at Disney’s New Disneyland Tower Hotel?
- It’s Disneyland! Mic drop.
- This resort will most certainly have an emotional connection for all Disney Parks fans, as it was the first hotel, at the first park.
- If the resale and demand for Grand Californian points are any indications; this resort will be equally fabulous for resale.
- 11-month booking window advantages at Disney’s New Disneyland Tower Hotel?
- Owners at this resort will have priority access to booking all room types at the resort!
- To be noted, however, is that there are only 2 Grand Villas, and 17 one-bedroom units planned for the resort. These rooms will most likely book up at the 11-month mark by owners.
Want to learn more? The My DVC Points App and Resort Wikis are great places to start your research, as we realize that this was just a quick glance at some of the factors that commonly pop up as members make their decision on where to call “Home”.
Episode 121 was produced by Sandy Symianick and Chad Pennycuff. Editing and mastering by Chad Pennycuff. Show notes by Sandy Symianick and Vicky Hxu.
My DVC Points is an awesome community of DVC members. Our positive, respectful, and authentic conversations about Disney Vacation Club designed to help people make informed and educated decisions about what's best for their families. Our content focuses on a Disney Vacation Member lifestyle. We cover everything from buying, selling, renting, picking your next resort or Disney restaurant. Our conversations start on the My DVC Points Podcast and DVC Newscast and continue on our Facebook Group and our live shows multi-streamed to Facebook and YouTube. Please download our smartphone app. Play Trivia with us every Friday night at 9 PM Eastern at Mouse Quiz!
It takes an awesome community of DVC members to produce our content. We're always recruiting people to help research, produce, edit, or join our shows to share their stories. We've had over 200 DVC members on our podcasts and live shows. Please consider supporting our show through our VIP Producer's Club at Patreon.com.
“Our Team Will Podcast for Dole Whips”
Chad Pennycuff on the My DVC Points Patreon Program