We're wrapping up our Bay Lake review series covering resort activities and amenities. BLT has so much to offer. The Contemporary Resort is in the middle of all the action, yet you can still have a quiet room up in the tower. Tune in to hear about what we all love doing while staying at Bay Lake Tower. Episode 193.
Season 8 of the My DVC Points Podcast was brought to you by:
DVC Resale Market – Industry Leader in DVC Resales
DVC Rental Store – DVC Point Rentals
Monera Financial – Exclusively Financing DVC Contracts
Patreon supporters in the My DVC Points VIP Producer Club.
BLT has a resort with a clean, modern vibe. Disney describes it as warm luxury meets modern elegance. But is there a theme? Maybe not… There’s so much to love about this great location and all it has to offer – including some of the best restaurants at all DVC resorts on property. Who doesn’t love taking non-DVC owners up to Top of the World Lounge to see fireworks have drinks, or even chocolate cake (when it’s open, of course!). Always mentioned is the fact that it’s walkable to the Magic Kingdom. Guests often cite that as a significant reason why they book it, especially with young children who need to take a nap during the day.
In discussing all the activities and amenities available while staying at Bay Lake Tower, the guests have no shortage of options to choose from, including:
- Movies under the stars on the green
- Arcade – 4th floor of Contemporary
- Olympiad fitness center
- Shopping (Contemporary lobby)
- Volleyball (sand/beach)
- Full-size basketball court
- Lakeside yoga
- Catch and release fishing
- Motorized boat rentals
- Jogging trails
- Resort campfire
- Specialty cruise/private pontoon boats for rent
- Watch the fireworks from the room/skyway bridge area
- Watch the electric water pageant
- Community hall – featuring TV, board games, and art supplies, as well as its guest laundry room.
- The front desk, concierge, valet, bell services, and transportation are shared services provided through the main resort.
- Bay Lake Tower does have a separate check-in area from 7:00 am–10:00 pm daily.
- Event and meeting spaces – the annual meeting is for DVC owners and New Year’s Eve dancing.
Bay Lake Tower features its pool called Bay Cove pool. The pool has a spiral waterside designed with neon lights and glass brick accents. This area includes a water feature play area, pool bar, and Bocce court in the courtyard at the horseshoe center.
Bay Lake Tower guests can use the Contemporary Hotel Resort's facilities and the Contemporary pool area with rental cabanas. There are chairs and tables overlooking a sandy beach area and beautiful Bay Lake (no swimming allowed in Bay Lake)! However, Contemporary Resort guests are not allowed in the Bay Lake Pool area as access is controlled by a key card.
The new Steakhouse 71 restaurant is quickly becoming a favorite. The lounge area is rumored to have the “best burger on Property,”. Another longtime favorite is Chef Mickey’s buffet features all the “original” characters.
The beloved California Grill restaurant and lounge are exclusive, where you take the private elevator to get there – if you’re lucky enough to be let up! Few people know that you can come back with your receipt to see fireworks later if space is available.
Currently closed at the recording of this show is the Top of the World Lounge, featuring their famous 7-layer cake and exclusive to DVC members and their guests. Other places mentioned included:
- Contempo Cafe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner
- Outer Rim Lounge
- Cove Bar pool bar
- Contemporary Grounds serving coffee and pastries
- Sand Bar (poolside)
Lastly, why not try a monorail pub crawl and grab a drink at a lounge at each of the three resort loops of The Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian for fun adult activity. If you don’t drink alcohol, you can try an appetizer at each stop and just admire the beauty of the resorts.
When looking for transportation and parking, pros are the easy walk or stroller ride to Magic Kingdom or taking the monorail to Grand Floridian or Polynesian for dinner. The monorail goes to Epcot from Magic Kingdom, and there is water transportation to Ft. Wilderness Campground and The Wilderness Lodge. Buses are available to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios parks or Disney Springs. One trick is to walk to Magic Kingdom and take the bus to any resort in front of Magic Kingdom.
Bay Lake Tower Activities and Amenities Cons
- No actual “theme,” just a concrete tower
- Pools are only ok
- Top of the World Lounge is still closed
- Close to two parks. Walk or Monorail to Magic Kingdom and quick Double Monorail ride to EPCOT
Bay Lake Tower Activities and Amenities Pros
- Bay Lake Tower one of just a few resorts that have an on-site Community Hall for family recreation
- Lots to do! The energy of the Contemporary Resort and can use all amenities there
- Watch fireworks from the resort
- All of the Bay Lake events like fireworks cruises, catch-and-release fishing, etc all start from the Contemporary Resort
- Feel like you’re in the middle of the action
- Can see the movement/energy from some rooms (train, space mountain, castle)
- Next door to the original park (still many people’s favorite of all four parks)
Episode 193 was produced by Roxanne Steele. Show notes by Roxanne Steele. Audio editing by Pete Scheidle and audio mastering by Chad Pennycuff.
My DVC Points is an awesome community of DVC members. Our positive, respectful, and authentic conversations about Disney Vacation Club are designed to help people make informed and educated decisions about what's best for their families. Please join us to continue the conversations on our Facebook Group, Discord Server, and YouTube channel.
It takes an awesome community of DVC members to produce our content. We're always recruiting people to help research, produce, edit, or join our shows to share their stories. Thus far, we've had over 225 DVC members on our shows.
If our content has been a blessing to your family, please consider supporting our show through our VIP Producer's Club at Patreon.com and join us for the Patreon After-Party from our live shows.